Hot-off-the-presses of Moody Publishers is this new book by Dr. Juli Slattery:
25 Questions You’re Afraid to Ask about Love, Sex, and Intimacy.
If Juli’s name is familiar to you, you may recall that Dr. Slattery was Dr. Dobson’s cohost on Focus on the Family from 2010-2012. A clinical psychologist, Juli has been married for almost 20 years, and she is the mother of three boys.
25 Questions You’re Afraid to Ask is easy to read and well organized. Each chapter in this paperback book is fairly short. (The longest is only nine pages.) Written in a stand-alone style, the chapters may be read in any order. The material is very practical and certainly relevant to many. Although the book addresses women, much of the discussion would be just as applicable to men.
Do I recommend this book?
I recommend 25 Questions because Juli’s counsel is solidly grounded in Scripture. We may ask the 25 questions with fear, but Juli answers them with grace and insight.
Juli treads a couple “gray areas” more tentatively than I would. Once or twice, she uses a broader brush than I would have chosen, but I agree with her conclusions. Her advice is godly, springing not only from personal experience and extensive counseling, but especially from the wisdom of Scripture.
Here are some of the questions that we’re afraid to ask:
- What’s the big deal about sex?
- Who are you to judge my sexual choices?
- Can I be single and sexual?
- Is it wrong to like sex?
- And I waited for this?
- Why do guys care so much about sex?
- Is ____ okay in the bedroom? (You fill in the blank!)
- What do my temptations say about me?
- How do I get past my shame?
- How do I know he is the one?
- How far is too far?
- Is living together a good test run for marriage?
- What if I’m attracted to someone else?
- How can I compete with porn?
- Can I be godly and gay?
- How do I rebuild trust after a betrayal?
- Does forgiveness mean I’ll be hurt again?
- What if I don’t like sex?
- How do I make time to make love?
- How do we fight without hurting each other?
- Why wouldn’t God want me to be happy?
Over the next couple weeks, I will be sharing a few “choice nuggets” from 25 Questions and summarizing several of Juli’s responses.
Interested in a copy?
Compliments of Moody Publishers, I am able to give away one copy of 25 Questions. If you would like a chance to receive this book, simply leave a reply to this post, and your name will be entered into the drawing.
There will be another chance to enter the drawing again next week. You may enter more than once.
Blessings to you!
Image courtesy of digitalart at FreeDigitalPhotos.net